Sunday, January 25, 2015

The 21 Day Myth and STOP 22


How long does it take to make a habit? Twenty-four days ago on January first, I read an article that claimed  it takes twenty-one days to form a habit. It was on the internet, so it must be true.

 
I made the decision right then. If I could consistently rise every morning and exercise twenty-one minutes for twenty-one days, I will have made a habit. No, not a hobbit. I have neither shrunk in size nor have hairy feet, although at my post-menopausal age the hair has sprouted in other undesirable places. I am talking about a habit, an exercise habit.

So, is it true? I tested the theory. By the fourth day of my research an entirely amazing pattern  began to emerge.  The final disclosure of my analysis? In twenty-four days the twenty one minutes of exercise decreased proportionately to the increasing number of days that passed. By the twenty-first day the minutes of exercise registered zero. I also discovered that the passion for creating the habit of exercise decreased as well.

But I have learned one thing.. Don’t give up. No matter what.

Throughout life there have been times when I became passionate about an idea, a product, and even a person. Like on a honeymoon, I did everything to nurture that idea into a reality, I worked long hours to acquire that new product, and I sacrificed and compromised to love that person with all my heart. In the beginning the idea, the product and the person promised great things, feeding my passion. Like anything that is new, I was on board, gung-ho, ready to go all out.  
But as we all know the honeymoon fades, the passion dims during the struggles of long hours, compromises and sacrifices. 

The path grows long, the sand deep.








But no matter how dark and treacherous the way, just around the bend is an unexpected surprise,  waiting to happen.

 Don't give up. Just do the work. What ever your goal, just start over again. Press on. Successful athletes did not quit after they lost the game. And every author doubts his work. But if you are doing what you love, you are already a far ahead of the game. 



And don't forget.....


always look up.




Habit Formation - The 21 Day Myth
 
 
 
 
 
Every day 22 veterans commit suicide because of PTSD.
Please carry the message.
MASADA'S MARINE, The Story of a Service Dog And Her Wounded Marine Warrior.

Join the movement : STOP 22

Join  Shari Duval and the   K9s For Warriors in their movement, STOP 22.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Judy, the purveyors of simplistic self-improvement have pulled that idea out of the air. It is not science based. So, what is one to do? I simply keep doing it til the insight arises that it is a dead game and time to move on. How does one know it is dead? Well, that demands self awareness which I practice through meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it seem like
    bad habits are always easier to develop than good ones ? lol

    ReplyDelete