Wednesday, October 18, 2017

WHERE IS YOUR THERMOSTAT SET? TURN IT UP!

WHERE IS YOUR THERMOSTAT SET?
TURN IT UP!!




Gay Hendricks PhD, said in “The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level, “Each of us has an inner thermostat setting that determines how much love, success, and creativity we allow ourselves to enjoy. When we exceed our inner thermostat setting, we will often do something to sabotage ourselves, causing us to drop back into the old, familiar zone where we feel secure.”
My work goals.
          To become a Ted Talk speaker.
          To become a New York Times Best Selling author.
          To appear on the Steve Harvey Show.
Personal goals.
          To live out my life with the one I love.
          To see the Northern Lights.
          To be a keynote speaker at my high school.

All of these goals exceed my thermostat setting. Just writing them down causes discomfort, even reading them, and certainly making them public. Doubting, fearful voices drone like the disturbing hum from a bad speaker.

 I compare how I react to my desire to achieve these goals, to my
dream of driving a Mario Andretti race car on my 70th birthday. The feelings of inadequacy, of being undeserving and just plain terrified me and  almost froze me where I stood.
Regardless,  I went for the checkered flag. The thrill of surviving the risk was worth the price and became my trophy. I took it to the limit. I gave it my best shot.  I accomplished something I never believed I could do. And that made all the difference.


So, here is what to do.  
Break your project, idea, task, activity or goal into the largest possible number of sub-steps you can imagine. 

Let’s use the example,  becoming a Ted Talk speaker.


Write all the steps down.
 4. Join Toastmasters
1. Decide what you want to say
3. Decide on a title of your Toastmasters speech
2. Know why you want to say it.
5. Practice, practice, practice
6. Become active, volunteer in the venue you are passionate about


Prioritize the list.
1. Decide what you want to say
2. Know why you want to say it.
3. Decide on a title of your Toastmasters speech
4. Join Toastmasters
5. Practice, practice, practice
6. Become active, volunteer in the venue you are passionate about.

  Go back to the first item on your list. Fnd the smallest possible action you can take to advance it.
1. Decide what you want to say.
          a. Find your passion
          b. What would you like to change in the world?
          c.  Decide how bad do you want to say it?
          d. What are you willing to risk to reach your goal?
         

Aim for baby steps. Focus on small wins. 
The idea is to take even the smallest action towards the bigger goal.
Small baby steps are the key. The road to a worthy goal is long and daunting. No one whose name ranks in the top ten chart got there overnight.
Never mind the discomfort, it only proves you are exceeding your inner thermostat setting.   Keep our eye on those day-to-day baby steps.
You will be uncomfortable. Don’t let it sabotage you.
 Don’t give up.

Keep your heart on the prize.

Oh, and don’t let me forget!! Readers’ reviews  keep us writers motivated.

USEFUL LINKS

SPORTSTER'S BLOG

Click on the link below to find out more about Judy's books.






Safe travels!
                   




3 comments:

  1. that was a lovely post. Inspiring and "how-to" and personal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your thoughts are right. Struggle and Struggle untill you win.
    Also, Please check out my game Traffic Racer .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete