Monday, September 23, 2013

PARKER, ARIZONA

I love old buildings. They represent a time that might be forgotten if they had not struggled to survive. During the construction of the Metropolitan Water District Aqueduct and the Parker Dam,in the 1930's, the town of Crossroads grew to a population of over 2000. It supported five grocery stores, three restaurants and many more services. This is the remains of the Mercantile Co. later named Schwanbeck's the most prominent business of the community. It operated as a store and pot office until 1973.

And of course Parker Dam. In the 70's I was able to take a tour down inside the Dam.Today you can't even walk across  or drive across the dam. 

I couldn't  believe the wild burros that roam the area. I counted over twenty at  The  River's  Edge Campground. The little fellow below was friendly. I think he was looking for a handout.

Meet my  author friend, Darlene Miller, who penned  RV CHUCKLES AND CHUCKHOLES and  MORE RV CHUCKLES AND CHUCKHOLES. Darlene's books are as delightful and funny as she is. I met Darlene in Quartzsite at the Authors' Fair in 2011 at the Readers' Oasis Bookstore.
 I  had stopped at the Elks in Parker for a couple of nights and Darlene, who was staying at Emerald Cove,  became not only my tour guide of the area but loaned out her husband, Terry, to fix a leak on my motor home's roof. At lunch we shared our publishing experiences along with our love for Mexican food. Not only are Darlene's books unique and charming but, she is as well. I am so grateful to have gotten to know you, Darlene.

Soon I'll be heading back to Parker, Arizona with my friend Julie and her two dogs, Rocky and Kona. Stay tuned for Sportster's and my adventures. 

4 comments:

  1. Judy-Love the pictures-that dam looks amazing. The old store/post office building is so cool! Looks like you are having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love old memories of Parker Dam...and of course old buildings: "It operated as a store and pot office until 1973." hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pix and thoughts. I pretended for a few minutes that I was there! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I love all this old historic stuff in AZ! And I especially love the little burro! Thanks for giving us the mini-tour!

    ReplyDelete