Saturday, April 7, 2012

ROAD TO WRITING - QUARTERLY REVIEW - PART II

The month of March: Four seminars: Two in Yuma and two in Pahrump.
The Elks Lodge in Pahrump, Nevada
The Road from Yuma, Az. to Parker, Az.
The Yuma fairgrounds were the venue for the Good Sam Rally and The Gypsy Journal Rally.  My first impression of the Fairgrounds was what everyone later learned to call “The sound of Freedom.” The Marine Air Base, only a few miles away, is the training ground, well the training airspace, for fighter pilots all over the world. My heart skipped a beat as these impressive jets passed over, almost close enough to touch. They stirred a fear that just as quickly was replaced by a feeling of safety and power knowing the Marines were doing their jobs. It really was a great feeling. By the time the second rally began, either the flights had decreased or we all became accustomed to “The Sound of Freedom.”

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Nick Russel, author of BIG LAKE, whose self-published e-book hit the New York Best Seller List that week of the rally. Nick is the editor of The Gypsy Journal Newspaper, http://gypsyjournalrv.com, and IS the Gypsy Journal Rally. He and his wife along with a hundred or more volunteers put on a wonderful, educational, friendly rally. And of course my interest was Nick’s seminar,” The Birth of a Best Seller.”
Because of Nick’s advice and knowledge, my book sales increased tenfold during the month of March.  It didn’t make the New York Best Seller List, but it boosted my faith in the magic of blogging and twittering. 



Sportster relaxes at the Nevada Treasure RV Resort, in Pahrump, Nevada
After saying good bye twice, first to my new friends at the Arizona Good Sam Samboree, and then again  to my friends at the Gypsy Journal Rally, I headed for the KOFA SKP Park in Yuma for a couple of days of down time before I headed north to Parker and on to Pahrump. In Pahrump Nevada, at the Nevada Treasure RV Resort, http://nevadatreasurervresort.com/,  I conducted two more seminars for  the Nevada Good Sam Samboree and the Regional WIT Rally ( Winnebago). During both rallies I met many more interesting people. Ollie Hill, from Laramie, Wyoming, attended my seminar. Visit his website, www.highcountryhorse.net. He has developed a kid’s game called, KID’S ARENA HORSE PLAY, as well as authoring many books on back packing and outfitting. Through the sales of his publications he raises money for 4-H projects.
Daniel Holstein of the Las Vegas Police Department And the son of one of the WIT attendees, spoke to us about his experience consulting for the CSI of Las Vegas television series. Not only did I have the privilege to meet Daniel, but also obtain his permission to e-mail him parts of my manuscript for his review.
Between these two rallies I enjoyed ten days of down time at the Elks Lodge in Pahrump. The lodge was active and hospitable and cooked a great Lasagna dinner. I spent my days writing with the spectacular view of the desert’s landscape filling every window of my RV. I walked in the desert when I needed a break from writing. I could have stayed for months in the solitude but had to spend a couple nights at the Pair-A-Dice SKP Park in order to catch up on my laundry.
I regretted my last day in Pahrump but I was also anxious to go home. Pahrump is a wonderful town with wonderful people. If you ever come through here go to Mom’s Diner, less than a mile from the Elks Lodge. The small restaurant has great food and friendly patrons who will invite you to share their table when it’s crowded, which is most of the time.
My next adventure will be reconnecting with my friends, neighbors and employees and my customers back in Sun City, Ca. at The Canine Beauty Salon…..and finishing my book, GOING HOME WITH A CAT AND A GHOST that I hope to have available late summer or early fall.

1 comment:

  1. Judy, I haven't been to Pahrump in almost 20 years but the last time I stayed there I spent the day at a whorehouse. Hah! Got your attention, huh? The girls were gone for a vacation (darn! I wanted to see what they looked like) and the place was closed for a month. Our friend worked there as a maintenance man and was making repairs and upgrades while biz was on hiatus. Just a bunch of bedrooms and a parlor. Nothing to write home about, but still!

    ReplyDelete